Sunday, September 6, 2009

Asado...Argentine Style



My mom gave me this really cool and authentic Argentine cookbook for my birthday. I was super excited because it has a recipe for chimichurri, which I know is authentic. I got this piece of tri-tip on sale and it was HUGE. I cooked it on the lowest setting possible for about 30-40 minutes with nothing but kosher salt and cracked pepper on it. (and a little olive oil) The meat was pretty dang close to the real thing. A nice layer of fat on one side...crispy on the outside (from the salt, not the cooking), done on the edges and pink in the middle. I also made my tomato onion and parsley salad that they usually eat with an asado. The chimichurri was really good. It is just fresh oregano, parsley, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper and a salmuera mixture (which is just salt and water).

Anyway it was a little spicier than the real deal, but was very close, so i was really excited. here's a picture. I had already eaten a huge plate, so it's not the greatest presentation, but it still tasted really good.

I think I've mastered the milanesa, gniocchis and am getting close to the asado. Once I get the empanadas down, it will be time to open a restaurant! :)

2 comments:

jenny said...

come to my house and cook again, you make me hungry!

Nana13 said...

Justin that looks delicious. I'm so glad that book has good recipes. I love your Argentine food. I can't wait for everyone to be home again so you boys can all cook your missionary meals again for us. I love when you guys cook your different foods. It's great! Argentine, Mexican, Brazil... I wonder where Jaren will go and what kind of food he'll be cooking for us?