
Just wanted to document this real quick. Saturday was a fun day for Carden. We got up and went to the Stake Emergency Preparedness Fair. We saw lots of fire trucks, police cars and the coolest thing was a giant army helicopter that came and landed in the football field at the church. It was awesome and definitely made an impression on him. We also ate yummy muffins cooked in these cool stoves, got chocolate "coins", some cool colored "live-strong" style bracelets and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Later on that day we went to In-n-out (Marin and I's first time eating "out" by ourselves in quite some time...the kids were all asleep in the car) We then went to the Glenn's to watch the BYU game. Carden always loves to play with trains. I played soccer with all the kids and played a game on the tramp with them too.
That night when I get to lay by Carden and read him stories for bed we finished our stories and turned out the lights. This is one of my favorite times of the day as I get to just lay with Carden. He usually doesn't want me to sing anymore (I guess my voice stinks! :) ) so I just lay with me and if I get up too early he says "I want me to hold you," and I lay by him for a few more minutes. After a few more minutes I tell him I need to go get ready and he'll roll over and start snuggling with his pillow.
But that night after we turned the lights out he just started talking about his day. He was telling me details even I had forgotten about. He remembered the muffins that were "cookin' in da oven", and the "orange" wrapper that concealed the chocolate "monies". He remembered the giant snoopy-style dog at the fire truck that he gave a high-five. He remembered the color of his "live-strong" braclet. "Carnen has yellow...B'ook has poople...Weed has gween and Daddy has yellow."
I couldn't believe it. He remembered our soccer game that we played, the fun we had on the tramp. The Toy Story movie we watched in the morning while Mommy slept. (He remembered we had to turn the tv down "because mommy is sleeping"). He then went on for seriously 20 minutes about the helicopter or as Carden calls it, the "Ack-a-tar".
He kept saying how it was "way up high" and then "went aroun' and aroun'" and then "came down on the grass". He's doing all this with his hand, acting like it's the helicopter.
We seriously talked for 45 minutes about almost every thing we did that day. He even remembered the "Bye-You (BYU) football tackle"? I was shocked. It was the most I've ever heard him talk. It's like he morphed from a toddler using phrases and words to a boy, using sentences and remembering intricate details from throughout the day.
It was a great reminder of how "sponge-like" our kids are and how sensitive they are to everything around them. Most importantly they do remember EVERYTHING we do with them and it's our responsibility as parents to fill their minds with good things and good memories. They will always remember everything we do (and don't do) with them. Imagine if I spent all Saturday studying, working or watching college football all day...I'd miss all these great memories with my family!
Carden is really growing up into a cute, good little boy. Every time I see a "ack-a-tar" I will be reminded of "what matters most" (Uchtdorf) and a sweet little 2.5 year old boy who is waiting for his parents to teach and love and play with him. I think sometimes I choose family over school too much, but it's moments like this that I know I'm making the right decision.
5 comments:
I love hearing you describe your little boy starting to use his sentences and understand his whole day. Reminds me of us about a year ago. It really is a neat transformation. Sounds like a fun day.
So sweet. You are a good dad Justin.
What great memories. It is so fulfilling and rewarding to start conversing with your children on that level!
Ahhh... it doesn't get any better than that! You are a GOOD Daddy!
He is a good Daddy! I'm glad he recorded it so we can always remember!
I have just the cutest boys ever!!!
Post a Comment