Thursday, September 2, 2010

Migraine. What do you do?

Last night I got the worst migraine. I felt so much throbbing that I threw up about five times before I could lay down and fall asleep. It was so painful. It is the worst pain. I think I rather be in labor than to have another migraine. I was about to take Ibuprofen last night before dinner but then thought, "no this won't get too bad". Sure enough it was really bad.

Do you get migraines? What works for you? What do you take or do to relieve the pain?

6 comments:

Karen said...

Marin,

Migraines are no fun. I have been getting "classical migraines" since elementary school. I think they're getting worse as I get older. My mom has told me before, "if you know you're going to hurt, take the medicine." Seriously, just take the ibuprofen...that's what I like to use.

I got a double migraine about a month ago and we weren't eating quite yet, so I didn't want to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach. I got some dr. pepper and that helped take the edge off, not completely gone, but the edge was. Good luck!

Margaret said...

ok, so i get horrible headaches now a days and the only way i can get rid of them is by seeing a chiropractor. I used to see him twice a week, but now I sewe him once a month (I told him twice a week is a little spendy and he understood). Go see one and see if they can help you. I thought forever that meds would fix it, but they didnt.
Turns out I have a reverse spine, so look into it and let me know. PS send me your phone number!!!

Kierstin said...

Oh my! You didn't tell me up the upchucking!! No wonder you couldn't read Hunger Games. You could go into labor again soon....

TheRapunzelGirl said...

i take advil migraine or excedrin migraine when i get mine (fortunately i haven't had one since the first months of this pregnancy!), and often i'll take a hot shower in the dark and i also have a sleep mask that i'll put on while i lay in bed where it's quiet . . . and sometimes i'll go from the hot shower to a cold compress on the back of my neck, depending on where the pain feels to be throbbing the strongest.

and dr. pepper does work wonders, especially if you don't normally drink it . . . but sadly, if it's to the point where you're vomiting the Dr. P probably won't work well. when i'm at that point & missed the "window" to either drink the Dr. P or take advil/excedrin migraine then it's the hot shower, cold compress, dark room & quiet till it passes. that's hard with little ones, tho!

*hugs to you, cousin!* i feel your pain. migraines are AWFUL!

Makenna said...

Not fun! I take Exedrine Tension Headace. Non-asprin. My sister-in-law told me to try it with Sophie, since you cant have the asprin while pregnant. It works way good for me. Pop it as soon as you THINK you are getting one, then lay down for an hour or so, if you can!

I also have started using peppermint oil for headaches - I havent had a migraine since before I had Sophie...knock on wood....but I love the way it smells - very relaxing. Let me know if you want some (and send me your address)

Anonymous said...

Marin -- you poor thing. As you can see though, you are not alone. Anything with caffeine constricts the blood vessels so it feels better and apparently makes the pain medicine work better. And you need a dark, quiet room. Be careful on fast Sundays -- that often triggers them.

try this site: http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-caffeine

love ya