Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The DISNEY STORE: Where tears come true

Oh I feel like such a horrible Mother that just crushed all the "dreams" of a two year old boy.

I went to the Disney Store today with my sister and Carden's eyes were sparkling! This was Carden's first time to the Disney Store (as a two year old) and he was captivated by all the toys! He was such a good boy as I told him we couldn't get that ENORMOUS BUZZ LIGHT YEAR toy with all those fun gadgets. He immediately put the box back onto the shelf and walked away.

His excited eyes then caught sight of the "Cars" toys where he found several he wanted but when I told him we had to go he put all of the cars away except two, one in each little hand! It was so cute and it broke my heart when I had to tell him that he had to leave them at the store. I kept telling him, "Mommy has no money and we need money to buy these cars." His poor little face filled with tears and he stared to cry and the whole store was looking at me as I picked him up and tore the two cars out of his hands. (ohh it was just soo mean). I looked at the price and thought, "well this is the best deal in the whole store but I better not seeing its not his Birthday or close to Christmas." So I didn't purchase the cars.

As I walked out of the store with Carden kicking and crying, my heart just sank and I wanted to turn around and go by the two little cars, but then I thought I better not or else Carden will learn that he can have anything he wants if he just throws a tantrum. I put him down while we waited for the elevator and he turned and ran to look back at the Disney Store. He stood there and cried hoping I would follow him but instead I waited halfway in the elevator telling him he needed to come. I wanted to just run and grab him and take him back to the Disney Store where dreams DO come true. It was seriously the hardest thing for me to see being a Mommy of a two year old. I kept waiting and then slowly he walked back to the elevator and stood next to me like a good boy with huge tears in those big blue eyes. (ohhhhh). Luckily Auntie Kierstin had a fruit snack which helped the pain!

I think I might just HAVE to go back and get those cars. I feel so awful. Did I do the right thing? Was I being the WORST Mommy ever? I know I can't get CARDEN everything he wants, but he was only asking for two little cars! But then two little cars could turn into ANYTHING and EVERYTHING he wants if he realized that crying would get him what he wanted. But anyways it was sad that the trip to the Disney Store today wasn't where Carden's DREAMS came true. Hopefully someday soon they will!

P.S. The whole way home in the car Carden kept saying, "I want money Mommy." "Mommy, I want money." His little voice was just so tender as he said those words to me while driving home. He just wanted money so he could go back to the store and by those two little cars :(

9 comments:

Karen said...

Christmas isn't that far away. If you think they're a good deal, it might be worth it to go back (without Carden) and get the cars for a special Christmas surprise. He might remember and be so thrilled. That's the magic of Christmas! You don't have to buy them, but I'm already working on Christmas and holding onto things under my bed. Luckily, the boys don't know that!

I agree that it probably was better to not get them after he cried. It's hard balance to know if you're spoiling your kids.

Brynley said...

I have to do the same thing with sam in Walmart. He loves the toys and the cars. I think it is good to teach them early on about money. Teach him to memorize a scripture to get some money. =)

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

I would have done the same thing. You are not a bad mommy but are a caring mommy for not giving in to your 2 year olds every demand. you are doing him a favor in the long run :) Whenever we go to Wal-Mart, Disney store, or wherever has toy, I always tell Ethan before we go in that he can look at the toys but we can't buy them and bring them home. He usually will get one toy to just play with until I'm done with my shopping there and then he knows that he has to put it back when we are ready to leave. I constantly remind him of that while we are shopping too. This has cut back on many a tantrum :)

TheRapunzelGirl said...

you did the right thing. although it's hard in the moment, he won't remember the cars for very long, and he'll be fine. and it does reinforce that he can't have everything he wants, which is a good lesson for us all to be reminded of.

jenny said...

Finally a two yr. old is learning the value of money!!! It is good grandma has provided a way for even a two year old to earn money! You get an A+ for discipline!

Kierstin said...

The drama in this post!! You are so funny. We'd better start our studio so you can make big bucks and channel all of that dramatic energy.

Good job!! Those cars will be a great Christmas present and a great deal.

Sarah said...

Stay strong!!!! He will learn valuable lessons about the important things in life, saving for things you want, and that you want cave at the first sign of tears. I'm a little bit of a tough love momma but coming from a family where my mom would've definitely gotten it for me...it is not beneficial to always be the pleaser! We were pretty ungrateful children and still are! ha! Gotta work on that. But really ask yourself will he live without this? yes. If he really still remembers it a month or even a week from now I'll be impressed and then maybe he really loves it and it would be a perfect christmas present. But I think your a much better mommy for showing restraint and bounderies than catering to your child...it's harder and better in the long run!

hayley said...

I remember taking Luke in the Disney store in Utah when it first opened at the age of two. It was rough. There were some sales but he wanted it all. It is so hard seeing your kid sad. But its important for them to learn how to deal with those emotions, not just buy them away (easier said than done, i know). It happens all the time now with neighbor kids and all the stuff they get. My kids want it all. Definitely save it for Christmas and birthdays. I say go all out for birthdays. We are working on helping them be thankful for the stuff they do have because some kids don't have anything!

Erin and James Sweeney said...

You know what Marin, sometimes I think it's best to avoid those stores. Especially when you have children at those young ages who will obviously find something they want. My mom learned with me, that she couldn't take me to Toys'R'Us when I was 3, so she stopped going, unless my dad was home and he could watch me. I think it's harder for them to see all the toys and not get anything- rather than not see the toys at all. And it's the Disney Store! Even as an adult, I feel like it's a magical place and find things that I would even want to buy!